Effective Aug 8, all cigarettes including e-cigarettes, e-hookah, e-cigars, vape pens, advanced refillable personal vaporizers and electronic pipes will be subject to the following requirements.
– enforcement action against products determined to be adulterated or misbranded (other than actions based on lack of a marketing authorization during an applicable compliance period)
– submission of ingredient listing and reporting of harmful and potentially harmful constituents
– registration of tobacco product manufacturing establishments and product listing
– prohibition against sale and distribution of products with direct and implied claims of reduced risk (e.g., “light,” “low” and “mild”) unless the FDA issues an order authorizing their marketing
– FDA review prior to marketing new tobacco products
To restrict youth access to regulated tobacco products, this rule prohibits selling to persons under 18, requires age verification by photo ID, prohibits the selling of tobacco products in vending machines (unless in an adult-only facility) and prohibits the distribution of free samples.
Beginning Sept 7, a manufacturer may not introduce any such product into domestic commerce, irrespective of the date of manufacture, if its package does not comply with this rule.
Non-compliant products manufacturer prior to Aug 8 may not be distributed for retail sale after Sept 7th.